15 million albums sold, a world tour, and a grammy award under their belt, Maroon Five can surely be called one of the greatest. With multiple billboard hit songs it’s hard to distinguish the good from the great. Here are, in my opinion, Maroon Fives top ten songs.
10. This Love. From the 2002 album “Songs about Jane” and written by the band’s head Adam Levine and keyboardist Jesse Carmichael, This Love ended up in the top ten on almost every billboard chart out there. With lyrics written about a breakup, the song describes an emotional time in life and love. This soulful pop/rock song was meant for the top of the charts.
9. Kiwi. Sexually provocative doesn’t even begin to describe Kiwi. Off the album Won’t be Soon Before Long, this song wasn’t ever a single, never hit any top charts, and was probably never heard outside an album owners in home stereo system, but its amazing. The song features a great rock guitar solo, along side keyboard and drums combined with dirty lyrics, Kiwi is truly a great song. Amazingly provocative is the only way to describe this song, take a listen and you will agree.
8. Makes Me Wonder. This song is a grammy award winning single from It Won’t Be soon Before Long, as well as the band’s first number one single on Billboard charts. Featuring lyrics that stem from multiple meanings including love and politics, this song encourages listeners to think about their own beliefs. “give me something to believe in” is the main pitch of this popular and catchy song.
7. Harder To Breathe. This is another semi-provacative upbeat song from the band. Off their album Songs About Jane, Harder to Breathe was released in 2002 to mixed reviews. Not many people cared how well it did, including the band. This song was written for the mere fact that the bands label wanted more content. However, seven years later Harder to Breathe can definitely be called one of the band’s best.
6. Won’t go Home Without You. This song, in my opinion, is the best ballad from loaded album It Won’t Be Soon Before Long. A song about a breakup and the hope that it will get better, Won’t Go Home Without You gives takes listeners on an emotional rollercoaster by describing a heartbreaking breakup then the chorus bringing back hope of another chance. Lead singer Adam Levine sells his desperation for his girl back throughout this entire song. Its truly touching.
5. Story. From the overflow album “B-side Collection”, Story can personally touch any listener how has ever been through a break up. It’s the lead singer Adam asking questions to both men and women about their relationship. “Did you know that everything she ever does is for you?” is one indescribably beautiful line that opens any listeners eyes to what people do for others. “Do you mean all the things you are?” paints the picture of wonder in a women’s mind. Listen to this song and it will induce so much thought, and so many questions in your mind you will completely rethink any relationship you’ve ever been in.
4. Sunday Morning. Picture a warm rainy day, driving home from church, early morning, putting back on your pj’s and cuddling up with a book. That is the feeling generated by this classic jazz song. From the album Songs About Jane, this song simply chronicles a laid back day, laying with your love. If you ever need a moment to relax and clear your head, take a listen to this song, 3 minutes later you will be submerged in a feeling of calm and relaxation.
3. Secret. “Cool these engines, calm these jets, I ask you how hot can it get, and as you wipe off beads of sweat slowly you say ‘I’m not there yet'”. Maroon Five has mastered the art of turning on a listener without really being sexual. Its all up to the listeners to take these lyrics and mold them into meaning. This alternative soul song is yet another provocative song that is sure to put listeners in the mood.
2. Not Falling Apart. Moving on is hard to do, this song portrays the struggles of moving on and keeping it all together. She left and he is struggling. This ballad is a beautifully played piece includes guitar solos that will make you melt and lyrics that will make you cry. An amazingly emotional song that will tug at your heartstrings.
1. If I Never See Your Face Again (ft. Rihanna). A story of an affair of a lifetime, If I Never See Your Face Again, is number one on my list for the simple point that the vocals and chords couldn’t mix any better. Take those two factors, add Rhianna and you’ve got yourself a hit. “You keep me coming back for more, and I feel a little better than I did before”; this song will keep you coming back for more. Immerse yourself in the love, sex, and deception that Maroon Five provides.
There you have it, Maroon Five’s top ten songs. From the albums B-Side Collection, Songs About Jane, and Won’t be Soon Before Long, this soulful band has generated a reputation of songs filled with love, heartbreak and a hint of sex that has yet to be matched in the music industry.